Friday, June 25, 2010

Things That I'm Into: Nettlehorst School Decorates for PRIDE

The elementary school (public!) next to my house always has amazing art installations. They recently decorated their playground for the pride festival/parade that is happening in Chicago this weekend.



From a sign near the installation: "In 2009 -- as a visible sign of our continued support for the neighborhood we are part of and the families that we serve -- Nettlehorst became the first elementary school to walk in Chicago's Gay Pride Parade.  This new tradition underscores the commitment of respect for all Nettlehorst families and symbolizes our collective intention -- that each of us becomes kinder, gentler, and more accepting." Tugs at the heart, right? I love that elementary students are learning early. They asked members of the community to tie a piece of fabric to symbolize their commitment to education and equality.



I tied one of the green pieces.


I love walking by the playground everyday, especially if it is windy out.


The Pride parade is weekend, so our neighborhood will be a little crazy. I've actually only been to the parade once (for some reason I always go out of town in June), so I'm excited to see it all go down.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

Amazing. I love it!